Rev. Ronald (Ron) Guinn of Austin TX, went to be with the Lord on Wednesday, July 2, 2014. Our sympathies go out to his wife Ann, and family during this difficult time. Condolences may be sent to his wife at the address listed below.
Celebration of Life Service ~ Saturday, July 26, 2014 ~ 2:00 PM
12501 Longhorn Village Drive
Austin, TX 78732
521 Vaughn Cove
Austin, TX 78732
Romans 8:1-11 (ESV)
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.  For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh,  in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.  For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.  To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.  For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot.  Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
 You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.  But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness.  If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
Questions for Reflection
- What impact can a good father or a bad father have on a person’s life?
- What is the status of a person who trusts in Jesus Christ? (8:1)
- How is a person set free from the law of sin and death? (8:2)
- What did God do that the Law was powerless to do? (8:3-5)
- What is the difference between those who live according to their sinful nature and those who live according to the Spirit? (8:5-8)
- How can a person know if he or she is controlled by the sinful nature or by the Spirit? (8:9)
- What promise is given to people living in the Spirit? (8:11)
- What feelings of condemnation and rejection may Christians feel?
- In what ways does knowing Christ set us free?