Come and See!

Friday, August 12, 2011

Scripture & Questions for Sunday (8/14/11)

Announcements:
1.    If you brought items for VBS please pick them up in the fellowship hall.
2.    You are invited to join in a Prayer Walk around the Junction school campus on Sunday evening, August 21, 7:30 PM in front of the High school. The purpose is to pray for the school, teachers, administrators, staff and students at the start of the new school year.
3.    August 21 and 28 are designated as Undie Sundays please bring new socks and underwear sizes 3T through Child Large for us to give to Head Start and Junction Elementary

Scripture
1 Cor. 13:1-13 (ESV) 
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. [2] And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. [3] If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. [4] Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant [5] or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; [6] it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.  [7] Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. [8] Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. [9] For we know in part and we prophesy in part, [10] but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. [11] When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. [12] For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. [13] So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Questions for Reflection
1.    What to you is an unmistakable demonstration of love?
2.    Who is the most loving person you know? Why do you think so?
3.    What do we gain if we don’t have love? (13:3)
4.    What qualities does love have? (13:4-8)
5.    How do adults and children act and reason differently? (13:11)
6.    How will our knowledge of God change when we see Christ? (13:12)
7.    Why do you think Paul wrote about love to the Corinthians?
8.    Why might it be easy to use a spiritual gift without love?
9.    How can a person demonstrate love?
10. What expectations do you have, knowing you will see Jesus face to face one day?