Come and See!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Scripture & Questions for Sunday (2/12/12)

Prayer Concern
Angela Ervin’s mother Rhonda Blackman continues to need our prayers.

Scripture
1 Cor. 9:24-27
    Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. [25] Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. [26] Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. [27] No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Questions for Reflection
1.    What emotions do athletes usually feel on the day of a big event?
2.    How can you be disqualified from a game or race?
3.    Why is it necessary to live with purpose and discipline? (9:25-27)
4.    Why did Paul lead a disciplined life? (9:27)
5.    What should you do to be assured of finishing your life well?
6.    How can neglecting spiritual disciplines (such as prayer, Bible study, and worship) disqualify a Christian from having an influence on unbelievers?