Come and See!

Friday, March 9, 2012

Scripture & Questions for Sunday (3/11/12)

Scripture
Psalm 23:1-6
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. [2] He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. [3] He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. [4] Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. [5] Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. [6] Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

John 10:1-10
"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. [2] The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. [3] The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. [4] When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. [5] But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice." [6] Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them.

[7] Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. [8] All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. [9] I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. [10] The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

Questions for Reflection
1.    What motivates God to guide His people? (23:3)
2.    How has the Lord guided you through difficult times?
3.    What did Jesus say He was? (10:7)
4.    To whom did Jesus say the sheep did not listen? (10:8)
5.    What did Jesus say would be the result of entering through Him? (10:9)
6.    How did Jesus contrast His coming with the coming of a thief? (10:10)
7.    In what way is Jesus like a gate?
8.    How has Jesus been a gate in your life?
9.    In what way is Jesus like a shepherd?
10.  How are we like sheep?
11.  In what way is Jesus your shepherd?
12.  How would you describe your relationship with Jesus?
13.  What tempts people to follow a stranger? Why?
14.  How can we better hear the voice of Jesus?