Come and See!

Friday, August 12, 2016

Scripture & Questions for Sunday (8/14/16)

Scripture for Sunday 
Luke 11:1-4 (ESV)  
    Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples."  [2] And he said to them, "When you pray, say:
    "Father, hallowed be your name.
        Your kingdom come.
        [3] Give us each day our daily bread,
        [4] and forgive us our sins,
             for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us.
        And lead us not into temptation."

Psalm 141:1-10 (ESV)  
    A Psalm of David.
    O Lord, I call upon you; hasten to me!
        Give ear to my voice when I call to you!
    [2] Let my prayer be counted as incense before you,
        and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice!
    [3] Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth;
         keep watch over the door of my lips!
    [4] Do not let my heart incline to any evil,
        to busy myself with wicked deeds
    in company with men who work iniquity,
        and let me not eat of their delicacies!
    [5] Let a righteous man strike me—it is a kindness;
        let him rebuke me—it is oil for my head;
        let my head not refuse it.
    Yet my prayer is continually against their evil deeds.
    [6] When their judges are thrown over the cliff,
        then they shall hear my words, for they are pleasant.
    [7] As when one plows and breaks up the earth,
        so shall our bones be scattered at the mouth of Sheol.
    [8] But my eyes are toward you, O God, my Lord;
         in you I seek refuge; leave me not defenseless!
    [9] Keep me from the trap that they have laid for me
        and from the snares of evildoers!
    [10] Let the wicked fall into their own nets,
        while I pass by safely.

Questions for Reflection
1. How have you experienced the influence of peer pressure?
2. When has the rebuke of a friend had a positive impact on you?
3. How did David want the Lord to protect him? (141:3-4)
4. In what specific way did David want to remain pure before God? (141:3-4)
5. How did David voice his trust in the Lord? (141:8)
6. What plea for deliverance is presented to God? (141:8-10)
7. In what specific ways would you like your desires to match David’s?
8. Why is David a good example for us to follow today?