Come and See!

Friday, September 16, 2016

Scripture & Questions for Sunday (9/18/16)

Update on Marc Simon:  Marc went in for heart surgery yesterday morning and had a double by-pass.  The doctors say that he is doing fine. i am on my way to San Angelo to see him, he is in Community Hospital.

Scripture
Genesis 15:1-12 (ESV)  
After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision: "Fear not, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great." [2] But Abram said, "O Lord GOD, what will you give me, for I continue childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?" [3] And Abram said, "Behold, you have given me no offspring, and a member of my household will be my heir." [4] And behold, the word of the Lord came to him: "This man shall not be your heir; your very own son shall be your heir." [5] And he brought him outside and said, "Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be." [6] And he believed the Lord, and he counted it to him as righteousness. [7] And he said to him, "I am the Lord who brought you out from Ur of the Chaldeans to give you this land to possess." [8] But he said, "O Lord GOD, how am I to know that I shall possess it?" [9] He said to him, "Bring me a heifer three years old, a female goat three years old, a ram three years old, a turtledove, and a young pigeon." [10] And he brought him all these, cut them in half, and laid each half over against the other. But he did not cut the birds in half. [11] And when birds of prey came down on the carcasses, Abram drove them away. [12] As the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell on Abram. And behold, dreadful and great darkness fell upon him.

Questions for Reflection
1. Why did the Lord tell Abram not to be afraid? (15:1)
2. What promises did God make, and to whom did He make them? (15:1-17:27)
3. What did the Lord promise Abram? (15:4-5)
4. What is the basis of both Abraham’s and our relationship with God?
5. Why is it sometimes hard to trust God?