Come and See!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Scripture & Questions for Sunday (4/3/11)

Announcements
  1. We will have Men’s Breakfast Saturday at 8:00am tell your friends that don’t have email.
  2. TEXAS STEAK – OUT Sirloin Steak and all the Trimmings, $25 per person Friday, April 1, 2011 6:30 PM Guest Speaker Scott Zesch Author, “The Captured” (The Story of Area Children Captured by Indians) Join us at the Coke Stevenson Center for a wonderful meal and program! Contact Frederica Wyatt 325/446-4219 
Scripture
Psalm 13:1-6 (ESV)

To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? [2] How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me? [3] Consider and answer me, O Lord my God; light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death, [4] lest my enemy say, "I have prevailed over him," lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken. [5] But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. [6] I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me.

Knots of the Faith #3
Why Isn't God Answering? - Psalms 10 and 13

  • Many Christians struggle with the fact that some of their prayers seem to go unanswered. That struggle is our focus this week.
  • Within that general theme several other sub-themes will be present: the nature of God as the one to whom we direct our requests, the discipline of prayer, the nature of faith and how we trust God when he doesn't grant our requests, and our honesty with God about our struggles.
Questions to Reflect Upon

  1. What is it like to feel ignored?
  2. How hard is it for you to wait for an answer?
  3. What questions went through David’s mind as he waited for the Lord’s answer to his prayer? (13:1-2)
  4. What emotions did David reveal in this psalm?
  5. What two character traits of the Lord’s encouraged David in his despair? (13:5)
  6. What negative emotions do you struggle with when you find yourself in a difficult situation?
  7. How do your emotions change when you remind yourself of God’s character and what He has done for you in the past?
  8. How does your memory of the past change your perspective on the present and future?
  9. What is one step you can take this week to protect yourself from doubt and discouragement?