Come and See!

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Scripture & Questions for Sunday (3/13/11)

Announcements
1. During Lent beginning Tuesday March 22nd instead of the 15th because of Spring Break we will meet in the church fellowship hall for a Bible study on Romans chapters 12-16 each Tuesday at noon through April 15th.
2. We are beginning a new sermon series this week called Knots of the Faith. This series of worship services explores seven tough questions and struggles that Christians often face. This week is How Can I Know the Will of God?

Scripture
Psalm 16:1-11 (ESV)
Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. [2] I say to the Lord, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you." [3] As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight. [4] The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names on my lips. [5] The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. [6] The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. [7] I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. [8] I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. [9] Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. [10] For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. [11] You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Ephes. 5:15-21 (ESV)
Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, [16] making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. [17] Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. [18] And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, [19] addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with all your heart, [20] giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, [21] submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Questions to reflect upon
1. To whom do you usually go for advice and why?
2. In what specific ways did David experience the Lord’s guidance? (16:7-8)
3. How far did David’s confidence in the Lord extend? (16:10)
4. How can remembering God’s guidance in the past encourage you about the present or future?
5. In what areas of life do we often need wisdom beyond what we have?
6. In what ways can we turn to God to guide us?