Come and See!

Monday, April 9, 2012

Scripture & Questions for Easter Sunday (4/8/12)

Scripture
Psalm 23:1-6 (KJV) 
A Psalm of David.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. [2] He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. [3] He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. [4] Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. [5] Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. [6] Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

John 11:21-27
"Lord," Martha said to Jesus, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. [22] But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask."
    [23] Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."
    [24] Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."
    [25] Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; [26] and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"
    [27] "Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."

Questions for Reflection
1.    In what different ways do people respond when a loved one dies?
2.    What did Martha say to Jesus about His having come after Lazarus had died? (11:21-22)
3.    What did Martha and the others learn about Jesus’ identity? (11:25)
4.    What did Jesus say would happen to those who believed in Him? (11:26)
5.    What belief did Martha express to Jesus? (11:27)
6.    When has God given you comfort in the middle of a sad time of life?
7.    In what way is Jesus’ response to Lazarus’s death a model for us to follow?