Come and See!

Monday, April 2, 2012

Scripture & Questions for Sunday (4/1/12)

Scripture
Psalm 23:1-6 New Living Translation
A psalm of David.
        The Lord is my shepherd;
            I have everything I need.
        [2] He lets me rest in green meadows;
            he leads me beside peaceful streams.
            [3] He renews my strength.
        He guides me along right paths,
            bringing honor to his name.
        [4] Even when I walk
            through the dark valley of death,
        I will not be afraid,
            for you are close beside me.
        Your rod and your staff
            protect and comfort me.
        [5] You prepare a feast for me
            in the presence of my enemies.
        You welcome me as a guest,
            anointing my head with oil.
            My cup overflows with blessings.
        [6] Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
            all the days of my life,
        and I will live in the house of the Lord
            forever.

Matthew 9:35-38 NLT
Jesus traveled through all the cities and villages of that area, teaching in the synagogues and announcing the Good News about the Kingdom. And wherever he went, he healed people of every sort of disease and illness. [36] He felt great pity for the crowds that came, because their problems were so great and they didn't know where to go for help. They were like sheep without a shepherd. [37] He said to his disciples, "The harvest is so great, but the workers are so few. [38] So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask him to send out more workers for his fields."

Questions for Reflection
1.    In what way has God made your “cup overflow”?
2.    What do you pray about on a regular basis?
3.    What emotion did Jesus feel when He saw the crowds of people around Him? (9:36)
4.    In what terms did Jesus describe the situation He and His disciples were observing? (9:37)
5.    How did Jesus describe the number of people helping others come to Him? (9:37)
6.    Who did Jesus tell His disciples to discuss the lack of workers with? (9:38)
7.    For whom do you feel compassion?
8.    What skills, gifts, abilities, or talents can you use to help others come to Christ?