Come and See!

Monday, November 16, 2015

Scripture & Questions for Sunday (11/15/15)

Scripture for Sunday
Hosea 11:1-9 (ESV)  
    When Israel was a child, I loved him,
        and out of Egypt I called my son.
    [2] The more they were called,
        the more they went away;
    they kept sacrificing to the Baals
        and burning offerings to idols.
    [3] Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk;
        I took them up by their arms,
        but they did not know that I healed them.
    [4] I led them with cords of kindness,
        with the bands of love,
    and I became to them as one who eases the yoke on their jaws,
        and I bent down to them and fed them.
    [5] They shall not return to the land of Egypt,
        but Assyria shall be their king,
        because they have refused to return to me.
    [6] The sword shall rage against their cities,
        consume the bars of their gates,
        and devour them because of their own counsels.
    [7] My people are bent on turning away from me,
        and though they call out to the Most High,
        he shall not raise them up at all.
    [8] How can I give you up, O Ephraim?
        How can I hand you over, O Israel?
    How can I make you like Admah?
        How can I treat you like Zeboiim?
    My heart recoils within me;
        my compassion grows warm and tender.
    [9] I will not execute my burning anger;
        I will not again destroy Ephraim;
    for I am God and not a man,
        the Holy One in your midst,
        and I will not come in wrath.

Questions for Reflection
1. Would you prefer to be known as “loving” or “just”? Why?
2. How did God express His love for Israel? (11:1-4)
3. Why did the nation not deserve mercy? (11:5-7)
4. How did God show that He was torn between love and justice? (11:8-11)